Before Windows 7, I was able to set Remote Desktop client Display at 256 Colors. That option is missing in Windows 7 ( The lowest option is “High Color 15 bit” )
It is very important to have it back specially if when using a slow network connection.
– Save all the remote desktop settings for the connection and save it to a RDP (.rdp) file by choosing Save As in the General tab.
– Open that .rdp file in a text editor (Notepad)
– Find the line that begins with session bpp:i:
– Change this line to session bpp:i:8
– Use (double click) that .rdp file to open a RDP session to the remote computer.